By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sports DailySports Daily
Notification Show More
  • Home
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
    • WNBA
  • Tennis
  • Racing
  • Golf
  • Racing
Reading: DP World Tour grants release to eight LIV Golf members, but not Jon Rahm
Share
Sports DailySports Daily
Search
  • Home
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
    • WNBA
  • Tennis
  • Racing
  • Golf
  • Racing
Follow US
Sports Daily > Golf > DP World Tour grants release to eight LIV Golf members, but not Jon Rahm
Download app from appStore
Golf

DP World Tour grants release to eight LIV Golf members, but not Jon Rahm

February 21, 2026 5 Min Read
Share
SHARE

The DP World Tour announced Saturday morning that it will allow eight of its members to compete in competitive LIV golf events in 2026.

Tyrell Hatton, Rory Canter, Thomas Detley, Tom McKibbin, Adrian Mellonk, Victor Perez, David Puig, and Elvis Smiley have agreed to conditional releases that allow them to remain members of the DP World Tour while competing in LIV as long as they pay outstanding fines, drop their pending appeals against the Tour, and participate in more defined Tour events and promotions. Two-time major champion and former world number one Jon Rahm was not on the list.

advertisement

“The terms accepted by these members will provide further value to the DP World Tour and benefit the membership as a whole,” the tour said in a statement on Saturday. “As long as each member meets the conditions of their individual release, no disciplinary action will be taken under the regulations for participating in LIV Golf’s conflicting tournaments in 2026, and their membership status will be maintained.”

Jon Rahm of Spain reacts on the 18th green during the fourth day of the Open de España Presents by Madrid 2025 at Club de Campo Villa de Madrid on October 12, 2025 in Madrid, Spain.

DP World Tour members competing at LIV Golf are in violation of the tour’s conflicting events policy, which requires a release to play elsewhere. The Tour began fining members who compete in LIV golf events in 2022 and won a British arbitration case in 2023, allowing enforcement of those penalties.

For the first few years, LIV passed on that fee to players as a way to attract and retain talent, but last July the league announced it was discontinuing that. The development was critical as DP World Tour membership is mandatory to join a European Ryder Cup team.

See also  Ryan Fox was one of the early leaders of the Australian PGA. Adam Scott is 1 stroke behind.

advertisement

Rahm and Hatton have appealed the fines, allowing them to continue competing on the DP World Tour and compete in the 2025 Ryder Cup with Bethpage Black. Hatton is listed as having agreed to the tour’s proposed conditional release, but Rahm appears to still be resisting, potentially jeopardizing his eligibility for the 2027 Ryder Cup at Adare Manor in Ireland.

Perhaps Rahm is waiting for a more permanent solution, as the DP World Tour said in a statement on Saturday that these conditional releases only apply to the 2026 season and do not set a precedent going forward. Earlier this month, Rahm praised the tour’s efforts to resolve the situation.

“I don’t know what it will be or what it will be like, but I’m happy to see them looking for a way forward so that LIV players can play on both tours and not get penalized,” Rahm said on February 2.

However, the terms offered by the DP World Tour do not appear to have satisfied Rahm, and if the incident is not resolved within the next 18 months, his status as a potential contender for a European Ryder Cup team could be in jeopardy.

advertisement

Rahm was one of three members of LIV Golf, along with Bryson DeChambeau and Cam Smith, who were offered a special return path to the PGA Tour last month. This is the same route that allowed Brooks Koepka to return after being released from his LIV contract in December. The deadline to accept a contract from the PGA Tour’s Returning Member Program has since passed, so Rahm, DeChambeau and Smith remain members of LIV Golf, where the season continues in Hong Kong in two weeks.

See also  2025 Baycurrent Classic Leaderboard: Sahith Theegala, Adam SCOT Just Off Pace

This article originally appeared on Golfweek: Jon Rahm not among eight LIV Golf members released by DP World Tour

You Might Also Like

Jon Rahm explains why the 2025 Ryder Cup was the toughest week of his career from a mental standpoint

AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am Best Bets: Winner, Top 10, Top 20 and More

Fans get a rare chance to get Cypress Points products

Connor Williams and Regan Zibilski win 2025 Patriot All-America titles

How a long-forgotten Golden Age classic came to life in Georgia

TAGGED:Golf
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Popular News

'I'm not surprised' – Fabrizio Romano gives interesting update about his future at Liverpool fans' favorite club
Football

‘I’m not surprised’ – Fabrizio Romano gives interesting update about his future at Liverpool fans’ favorite club

Twenty-Three Years Later: Reflecting on a Troubling Episode in Penguin History
Carlos Sainz Highlights Smooth Partnership as Max Verstappen’s F1 Teammate: “No Trouble at All”
Top 10 Wide Receiver Duos to Watch as the 2025 NFL Season Kicks Off
2025 NBA Championship Predictions: Lightning Favored Amid Exciting Matchups Against the Pacers
INEOS’ place in race revealed as Manchester United chase Conor Gallagher

About US

Your trusted source for up-to-the-minute sports news, in-depth analysis, and expert coverage across the globe’s most exciting sports.

Facebook Twitter Youtube

Categories

  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Football
  • Golf
  • Racing
  • Tennis

Legal Pages

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

Subscribe US

Oakmont is scheduled to become the main character of 2025 US Open
Chelsea intend to crash Manchester United’s party with late call for January target
Source: Liverpool is “confident” in completing free transfers and set aims on an ambitious £87 million deal
© 2025 All Rights reserved | Powered by Sports Daily
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?