By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sports DailySports Daily
Notification Show More
  • Home
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
    • WNBA
  • Tennis
  • Racing
  • Golf
  • Racing
Reading: French Open leaves prize money unchanged this year despite players’ media protest plans
Share
Sports DailySports Daily
Search
  • Home
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
    • WNBA
  • Tennis
  • Racing
  • Golf
  • Racing
Follow US
Sports Daily > Tennis > French Open leaves prize money unchanged this year despite players’ media protest plans
French Open leaves prize money unchanged this year despite players' media protest plans
Tennis

French Open leaves prize money unchanged this year despite players’ media protest plans

May 21, 2026 4 Min Read
Share
SHARE

According to the Associated Press, tournament director Amelie Mauresmo said Thursday that there will be no changes to this year’s French Open prize money, a day before tennis’ biggest stars are planning a media protest to voice their displeasure over the reduction in prize money that players currently receive at Grand Slam tournaments.

According to the Associated Press, Mauresmo was asked directly whether this year’s prize money could change. Her reaction was reportedly obvious.

advertisement

“No, we’re not going to change anything,” the former Australian Open and Wimbledon champion said, according to the Associated Press.

“We’re going to start a discussion and that’s what everyone wants.”

Play 2026 Soccer Pick ‘Em on FOX One and pick your players for the world’s biggest soccer tournament

A meeting of tournament organizers, players and their representatives will be held at Roland Garros on Friday. The traditional pre-tournament media day will also be held on this day, but this time it is reported that several players will intentionally limit their access to the press as an act of defiance.

advertisement

The protest will reportedly take place over a symbolic 15-minute period, with The Athletic reporting that the players participating in the protest have been strategizing to only attend the press conference for 10 minutes, Bounce reported. The 15-minute gathering time is symbolic, with Grand Slam tournaments accounting for an average of 15% of the revenue they allocate in prize money, according to the Guardian, and Wednesday’s report also said players will only participate in contractually obligated post-match flash interviews with rights holders during the tournament. It is reportedly believed that players will be less likely to be fined if they enjoy the tournament in that regard.

See also  Sinner, Sinner, Savalen Curried for Wimbledon betting his favorites

Players leading the labor movement are aiming for player income to account for 22% of Grand Slam prize money, comparable to what players earn at joint ATP and WTA tours.

advertisement

According to a reporter from The Athletic, the prize money for the 2026 French Open will be $72.3 million, a 9.5% increase from last year’s tournament at Roland Garros. While Grand Slam prize pools have grown, they still don’t account for the proportion of revenue that players feel they deserve.

As well as the meeting scheduled for Friday at Roland Garros, talks with representatives from the US Open and Wimbledon are also scheduled during the French Open, The Athletic reported.

A number of players, including Jannik Sinner, Carlos Alcaraz, Aryna Sabalenka and Coco Gauff, are calling for not only a significant increase in prize money, but also improved player benefits and pension rules, and greater influence over the Grand Slam schedule.

At this year’s Italian Open, a Masters 1000 tournament that is a prelude to the French Open, Sabalenka floated the idea of ​​a full-scale boycott of the Grand Slam. In particular, Gauff said it could be done if the players could “collectively buy in.”

For now, players seem to be sticking to less drastic means to get their point across.

You Might Also Like

Amanda Anisimova thanked her mother in tears after the loss of Wimbledon

Andy Murray assists in designing the 150th Wimbledon statue in 2027

Bonji survives Medvedev’s late surge in a chaotic US open match

Serena Williams is receiving Spanish honors for her illustrious career

US Open: Novak Djokovic remains undefeated against Taylor Fritz, facing Carlos Alcaraz in the semi-finals

TAGGED:FrenchleavesmediamoneyOpenPlansplayersprizeProtestTennisUnchangedyear
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Popular News

Mane: I chose Liverpool vs United based on playing time
Football

Mane Reveals: Liverpool over United for More Game Time!

Slots need to sell “struggling” Liverpool stars
Trinity Rodman Stays in NWSL: USA Star Re-signs with Spirit for Another Season!
NASCAR Reboots Chase for the Championship Format Starting in 2026
Exclusive: £30 million star spoke with Chelsea & Man United, other transfer jobs could be involved
Arsenal finally need to sell new signing Zinchenko

About US

Your trusted source for up-to-the-minute sports news, in-depth analysis, and expert coverage across the globe’s most exciting sports.

Facebook Twitter Youtube

Categories

  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Football
  • Golf
  • Racing
  • Tennis

Legal Pages

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

Subscribe US

Union Backs Introduction of Gambling Machines at Santa Anita Park
Report: Chelsea surprisingly believe they can secure a £60m transfer fee to ease the burden of the debacle
Jake Paul to Clash with Ex-Heavyweight Champion Anthony Joshua on December 19th
© 2025 All Rights reserved | Powered by Sports Daily
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?