By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sports DailySports Daily
Notification Show More
  • Home
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
    • WNBA
  • Tennis
  • Racing
  • Golf
  • Racing
Reading: French Open players’ media protest will not continue after organizers reportedly agreed to discuss prize money after tournament
Share
Sports DailySports Daily
Search
  • Home
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
    • WNBA
  • Tennis
  • Racing
  • Golf
  • Racing
Follow US
Sports Daily > Tennis > French Open players’ media protest will not continue after organizers reportedly agreed to discuss prize money after tournament
French Open players' media protest will not continue after organizers reportedly agreed to discuss prize money after tournament
Tennis

French Open players’ media protest will not continue after organizers reportedly agreed to discuss prize money after tournament

May 24, 2026 3 Min Read
Share
SHARE

The 2026 French Open is set to go ahead as normal after a day of player protests, with the BBC reporting that players will fulfill their media obligations at the start of the tournament on Sunday.

The protests were the culmination of years of grievances over the proportion of prize money at Grand Slam tournaments, which lag far behind the ATP and WTA tournaments as a percentage of revenue.

advertisement

Play 2026 Soccer Pick ‘Em on FOX One and pick your players for the world’s biggest soccer tournament

Speaking to reporters at Friday’s pre-competition media day, a group of top players including Jannik Sinner, Aryna Sabalenka, Coco Gauff and Iga Swientek limited their playing time to just 15 minutes to represent 15% of the revenue generated from this year’s Roland Garros event.

For comparison, standard ATP and WTA events pay out 22% of revenue, and players hope to eventually match that at the Grand Slams.

According to the Guardian, on the same day as the protest, player representative Larry Scott and a group of player agents met with officials from the French Tennis Federation. The players were reportedly encouraged by the meeting.

Officials said the positive talks vindicated the media boycott. One day’s direct action enabled more than a year of behind-the-scenes discussions, one person said.

The FFT has promised to return with a detailed proposal within two weeks of the Roland Garros final, with players insisting that increased prize money must be included alongside discussions on benefits and player representation.

Player representatives told the BBC they had no intention of holding any protests during the tournament.

See also  Real Madrid Struggles with Injury Setback as Kylian Mbappé's Knee Issues Continue to Haunt

advertisement

FFT is sticking to this year’s prize money, which has particularly angered players. This year’s total pot of 61.7 million euros is 5.3 million euros more than last year, but players complain that their share of their income is expected to fall from 15.5% in 2025 to 14.9% in 2026.

Sabalenka caused a stir earlier this month by hinting at the nuclear option of a full-scale boycott of the Grand Slam tournaments. But the story is clearly not over, as the All England Tennis Club is set to announce this year’s Wimbledon prize money on June 11th.

You Might Also Like

Rybakina defeats Pegula to advance to WTA Finals title match

Thanks to fans after withdrawing from Wimbledon Match with Jannik Sinner due to Grigor Dimitrov injury

Iga Swiatek advances to the third round of the China Open

Cincinnati Open: Emma Raducanu cruises up to 3 rounds

Wimbledon 2025: Is this Djokovic the best chance to win another major?

TAGGED:agreedContinuediscussFrenchmediamoneyOpenOrganizersplayersprizeProtestreportedlyTennisTournament
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Popular News

Download app from appStore
NASCAR

NASCAR Icon Bobby Allison Dies at 86, Leaving a Legendary Legacy Behind

Lees Racing Borussia Dortmund in ‘Ambitional’ Movement Signs ‘Talent’ Star’ in “Ampirited'” Movement
What Bayern Munich plans to avoid the stars join Liverpool
Spurs hold talks with dream target Gallagher over £80m upgrade deal
Trustworthy Jarno drops claims of £100 million to Liverpool transfer in clear Luis Diaz truth
Blues Bring Back 2023 First-Round Draft Pick from AHL Call-Up

About US

Your trusted source for up-to-the-minute sports news, in-depth analysis, and expert coverage across the globe’s most exciting sports.

Facebook Twitter Youtube

Categories

  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Football
  • Golf
  • Racing
  • Tennis

Legal Pages

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

Subscribe US

Australian Open: Is this Novak Djokovic’s?
Arne Slot responds to a pre-match homage to late Liverpool star Diogo Jota, who has been interrupted and cut short.
These 20 pros are competing for 5 PGA Tour cards at Q-School
© 2025 All Rights reserved | Powered by Sports Daily
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?