Manchester United have moved into pole position in the race to sign Rafael Leao from AC Milan this summer, with the Italian giants ready to show the winger the door.
Manchester United plots transfer of global superstar
Life is good for the Red Devils right now. Champions League qualification has long been assured and they will finish the Premier League campaign in third place, after a season in which they finished bottom of the table in 15th place. Michael Carrick’s interim administration saw significant improvements and he was given a permanent job.
As far as INEOS is concerned, the focus is currently on the transfer market. This time last year, their recruitment was a success, with Brian Mbeumo, Senne Lamence, Matheus Cunha and Benjamin Sesko all emerging. Now, a year later, it looks like another offensive star is on their radar.
Own Anderson: Manchester United are confident of signing Carrick’s first contract as soon as possible
Manchester United are close to signing a star player like Elliott Anderson.
According to Italy’s Gazzetta dello Sport, Man United are said to be able to sign Leo for just 50 million euros (approximately 4.3 billion yen) this summer. This came a few years after AC Milan asked for around £86m to sell the winger. He was recently recognized by GQ as a “global superstar.”
Since then, Leo has gone from being a fan favorite to a player at the center of Milan’s discontent. There are now speculations that the player will leave the club this summer, with Man United ahead of Fenerbahce in pole position to sign him.
Milan’s trash could quickly become Old Trafford’s treasure this summer. Leo is only 26 years old and still has plenty of potential. Despite a difficult season on an individual level, the Portugal international still managed to score 10 goals in all competitions.
Meanwhile, the player was at his best, contributing 25 goals last season and 29 the season before that. At just £43 million, he would be worth every penny at Man United.
Wilcox: Carrick ‘thoroughly earned’ Manchester United job
After a busy summer spent searching for their next manager and backing the man responsible for turning their season around, Man United have officially announced the appointment of Carrick.
After the news was announced, the new manager said on the club’s website: “I felt the magic of Manchester United from the moment I arrived here 20 years ago.
“Taking on the responsibility of leading our special football club fills me with immense pride. Throughout the past five months, this group of players has shown that they can reach the standards of resilience, cohesion and determination that we demand here.”
Club chief Jason Wilcox added: ”Michael thoroughly earned the opportunity to continue leading the men’s team. During his time in this role we have seen positive results on the pitch, but more than that we have seen an approach that is in line with the club’s values, traditions and history.
Read next: Manchester United hold ‘new and positive’ talks for £43m star

Manchester United held “new and positive” negotiations with Carrick on Friday towards a £43m star contract.
The Red Devils are currently in the process of hiring a permanent head coach.

