By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sports DailySports Daily
Notification Show More
  • Home
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
    • WNBA
  • Tennis
  • Racing
  • Golf
  • Racing
Reading: Tottenham face huge backlash from fans as latest decision backfires
Share
Sports DailySports Daily
Search
  • Home
  • Football
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
    • WNBA
  • Tennis
  • Racing
  • Golf
  • Racing
Follow US
Sports Daily > Football > Tottenham face huge backlash from fans as latest decision backfires
Tottenham corner flag with breaking news overlay
Football

Tottenham face huge backlash from fans as latest decision backfires

March 31, 2026 3 Min Read
Share
SHARE

Table of Contents

Toggle
  • Roberto de Zerbi’s controversial Mason Greenwood comments on cause of backlash
  • Women in the lane also voice their strong opposition.
  • What Tottenham need now is a rebound.

The appointment of Roberto De Zerbi as Tottenham’s new manager has sparked intense controversy, with several fan groups, including the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Trust (THST), leading a massive backlash against the club’s decision.

In a scathing public statement, the trust expressed “serious and widespread concerns” about the appointment, which it believes fundamentally undermines the club’s values.

Download the official CaughtOffSide app to get all the latest news and updates straight to your phone. above apple & Google play

While acknowledging the urgent need for a manager to keep Spurs away from historic relegation, he revealed that he had appealed to the board before the announcement but had been ignored.

Roberto de Zerbi’s controversial Mason Greenwood comments on cause of backlash

The crux of the anger stems from comments De Zerbi made about Mason Greenwood during his time at Marseille.

The trust said the comments were “unnecessary, ill-judged and deeply offensive” and said they were “disturbing” for victims of male violence.

A statement from THST said: “Our club has long been committed to combating incidents of violence against women and girls.”

“Any sympathy for alleged perpetrators of physical or sexual violence fundamentally undermines confidence in the management of this club.”

The trust claimed the appointment cast a “worrying shadow” on the club’s integrity at a time when unity is most needed.

Women in the lane also voice their strong opposition.

Backlash is not limited to THST. The co-founder of Women of the Lane, a prominent group of female Spurs supporters, has also voiced her firm opposition.

See also  Amorim says 'future £100m' star could fix Manchester United's midfield by axing Casemiro

The group suggested that hiring a manager with such controversial stances on sensitive issues would alienate a significant portion of the fan base that attends games.

The backlash was pre-empted by Tottenham pundit Alasdair Gold, who was concerned about potential friction within the fan base.

The board’s decision to give De Zerbi a five-year contract is seen by some as ignoring the feelings of the fans.

What Tottenham need now is a rebound.

The manager’s immediate challenge is to save the club from historic relegation.

De Zerbi must remain focused, but the added scrutiny from the British media over his controversial comments will no doubt increase the pressure on the Italian.

Additionally, the toxic atmosphere in the stadium may not help much either, as fans are rooting for their team “with heavy hearts.”

If De Zerbi is unable to produce immediate results while resolving these character concerns on and off the pitch, the rift between fans and hierarchy could become irreparable, regardless of what division the club plays in next season.

You Might Also Like

Liverpool flops who lose 100% of their duels must play on borrowed time

Manchester City Set to Overcome EFL Cup Semi-Final Hurdles with Antoine Semenyo and Rayan Cherki in Their Corner!

Video: Two United players discovered a meltdown in the Europa League final

Revealed: How Real Madrid ruins Arsenal and Man City’s transfer plans

Arsenal ready to spend £80m on ‘world-class superstar’

TAGGED:Football
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Popular News

Brahim Diaz in action for Real Madrid against PSG
Football

Report: Arsenal of Alert as PL&CL winner has not signed a new contract yet

Travelers Championship 2025 Odds, Golf Picks, Prediction, Props, Date: PGA Expert Back Robert McIntyre
Latest information on Anthony Gordon changing plans to move to Liverpool this year
Kate Martin Delights WNBA Players with an Unexpected Surprise!
Golden Knights Bite Back: Dominate Sharks to Enter Christmas Break with 7-2 Record
Chelsea and Tottenham sign Europe’s biggest 16G/A star

About US

Your trusted source for up-to-the-minute sports news, in-depth analysis, and expert coverage across the globe’s most exciting sports.

Facebook Twitter Youtube

Categories

  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Football
  • Golf
  • Racing
  • Tennis

Legal Pages

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

Subscribe US

Wolff Fires Back at Red Bull’s Integrity Following Antonelli’s ‘Ignorance’ Claim
Colonial Downs Expands 2026 Racing Season to a Thrilling 48 Days
Novak Djokovic: “Hopefully” isn’t my last match at Wimbledon
© 2025 All Rights reserved | Powered by Sports Daily
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?